I love a good scone. I have found though that i rarely want a big scone to myself. I love creating small batch recipes for scones. This recipe makes 8 mini scones but you can double it to make 16. This is buttery with the perfect amount of sweetness. There are many options of things to put in the scones, I used dried cherries in these scones and it added the perfect amount of tartness to balance out the sweetness. This goes great with iced coffee, or tea!
Mini Cherry Scones
These mini cherry scones are perfect for dessert, breakfast or an afternoon pick me up! Their buttery, moist and the cherries add a nice tartness to balance out the sweetness.
- Rolling Pin
- Sheet Pan
- Mixing bowl
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter Frozen
- 1/4 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 small Egg
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Dried Cherries Plumped
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 Egg Yolk
- Mix all dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Cut the frozen butter into the bowl. Using a pastry cutter cut the butter in so that it’s small little crumbs.
- Place mixture in freezer while mixing other ingredients.
- *Cover 1/2 cup of dried cherries with warm water in a bowl or let sit over night in water in fridge.
- Whisk together buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract together. Mix in with dry ingredients. Mix in plumped cherries until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk milk and egg yolk together.
- Brush egg wash on scones and sprinkle with some sugar.
- Put in the oven for 18-22 minutes on golden on top. Pull out and let cool for a few minutes before eating!
If you don’t have buttermilk. Pour regular milk in measuring cup then put a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar in with the milk. To plump the cherries put them in hot water for 10 minutes or in cold water in the fridge for 24 hours. Drain and use in scones. Sprinkle sugar on top scones before baking to add a little more sweetness to each bite.