These Classic Strawberry and Chocolate Donuts are the perfect treat. These donuts are light airy and not too sweet.They are deep fried but don’t give off the heaviness that some fried foods do. The donut itself is not too sweet. It is perfectly paired with this sweet strawberry icing and a chocolate glaze. The process is very easy and no mixer or deep fryer needed. I used my hands to kneed the dough and simply a pot and oil and a meat thermometer to make sure the oil was at the right temperature. These doughnuts are easy to make and bring me back to the donuts I grew up eating.
OTHER BREAKFAST RECIPES YOU”LL LOVE:
Classic Strawberry and Chocolate Donuts
- Big Pot
- Mixer and dough hook
- Rolling Pin
- 1 1/4 Cup Whole Milk
- 2 1/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 2 eggs
- 8 tbsp Unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 3/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour Plus more for rolling
- 2 qrts Canola Oil For frying
- 1/4 Cup Strawberry Jam or Jelly
- 1/4 Cup Boiling Water
- 1 1/2-2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- Heat milk until warm but not hot. In a large bowl combine with yeast, mix a little then let sit for 5 minutes until mixture is foamy.
- Beat eggs, butter, sugar, and salt into the yeast mixture. Add half the flour and mix until combined. Then mix in the rest of the flour until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Knead for a few minutes on a floured surface. Cover the inside of a large bowl with oil. Put dough in large bowl and cover with dish towel. Let rise for about and hour until it is double in size.
- Turn dough out onto a well floured surface and roll out into 1/2 inch thickness. Use cookie cutters or glasses to cut doughnuts. Shot glasses work great as the center cut out. Place cut doughnuts on floured baking sheets with plenty of space in between. Cover with kitchen towels and let sit at room temperature for about 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- About 15 minutes before doughnuts are done rising, place pot with oil over medium heat. Get the oil to 375 degrees use a meat thermometer to make sure. Line cooling racks with paper towels.
- Use a slotted spoon to put a few doughnuts in the pot. Let cook for around 45 seconds and then flip and cook until golden. Take out and let rest on paper towels before icing.
- Prepare icing by pouring boiling water over jam/jelly in a bowl. Whisk until jam/jelly in liquid without chunks. Pour through a sifter into a clean bowl. Discard what is left in sifter. Mix in powdered sugar, add more as needed to make it thick and without chunks.
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil for 30 seconds in a microwave safe bowl. Stir until melted.
- Dip cooled doughnuts in chocolate glaze. Spread strawberry icing on top of doughnuts with knife.