These pretzel bagels are the perfect combination of bagel and pretzel. For this recipe you follow a classic bagel recipe but then add in baking soda to the boiling water. This gives the bagels the pretzel crusting.
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for kneading
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- Add yeast and sugar to 1/2 cup of warm water. Let sit for 10 minutes. Then mix together.
- Mix flour and salt in a big bowl. Make a well in the center. Pour yeast mixture in center and add rest of water. Mix into flour mixture. Add more water as needed for a firm but moist dough.
- Take out of bowl and knead on a floured surface for about 10 minutes until it’s elastic .
- Coat a large bowl with oil and put the dough in the bowl. Cover with a dish towel. Put on stove or in a warm area for about an hour to have it double in size.
- Once doubled in size put dough on floured surface. Divide dough into 8 pieces and roll into balls. Roll out dough into long rope then attach two ends to make a bagel. Place on a greased sheet pan. Cover with damp dish towel.
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees and bring a large pot to a boil. Once water in boiling add in baking soda use a slotted spoon to place a few bagels in. Let them boil for about 1 minute per side. Remove and put on an oiled baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until bagels are brown. Let cool on wire rack and then enjoy!