I loved Pop tarts growing up and I love getting to recreate healthier options of my childhood favorites. The dough using vegan butter but can of course use regular butter as well. I like to put vodka is pie crust it gives it the best flaky texture but is not mandatory you can just add more non-dairy milk. The icing is still not healthy as it is made with lots of powdered sugar but with a naturally sweetened jam. That same jam will be in the center as well. This recipe makes about 8 pop tarts.
Easy Vegan Pop Tarts
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/8 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/8 cup vodka (or sub more non dairy milk)
- Jam or jelly of choice
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam or jelly
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the flour, sugar, salt to a bowl and mix. Cut the butter into the flour and use a fork to cut it until it’s a crumbly texture. Drizzle the milk and vodka across the flour mixture and use fork to combine. Mix until everything is combined and it can be formed into a ball. Do not over mix.
- Roll dough out onto a floured surface. Roll out dough to be 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 16 rectangles. Place on parchment lined sheet pan. Spread 2 teaspoons jam in center of 8 pieces. Spread out so that there is a 1/4 inch space. Place other rectangles on top. Using a fork press down the edges.
- Place in oven for 7 to 10 minutes or until golden. Remove and let sit on wire rack until cooled.
- Prepare icing by pouring boiling water over jam/jelly in a bowl. Whisk until jam/jelly in liquid without chunks. Pour through a sifter into a clean bowl. Discard what is left in sifter. Mix in powdered sugar, add more as needed to make it thick and without chunks.
- Spread icing on cooled pop tarts and enjoy!