I love a good bagel. I grew up working in a bagel shop but never was I involved in the baking process. I always thought there were so many steps and that was the reason that no one bakes them at home but this recipe is quite easy and makes nice fluffy bagels. I opted to make mine plain because I do not like toppings on my bagels but after these are pulled out of the boiling water you can put egg wash or vegan butter on them and sprinkle on whatever you would like. I hope to make some egg bagels next time!
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for kneading
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Add yeast and sugar to 1/2 cup of warm water. Let sit for 10 minutes. Then mix together.
- Mix flour and salt in a big bowl. Make a well in the center. Pour yeast mixture in center and add rest of water. Mix into flour mixture. Add more water as needed for a firm but moist dough.
- Take out of bowl and knead on a floured surface for about 10 minutes until it’s elastic .
- Coat a large bowl with oil and put the dough in the bowl. Cover with a dish towel. Put on stove or in a warm area for about an hour to have it double in size.
- Once doubled in size put dough on floured surface. Divide dough into 8 pieces and roll into balls. Using thumb make a hole in the center of each ball and stretch out a little. Place on a greased sheet pan. Cover with damp dish towel.
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees and bring a large pot to a boil. Once water in boiling use a slotted spoon to place a few bagels in. Let them boil for about 1 minute per side. Remove and put on an oiled baking sheet. Brush on vegan butter and put whatever toppings you would like. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until bagels are golden brown. Let cool on wire rack and then enjoy!