This vegan chocolate cake is perfectly chocolate, airy, and not too sweet. The Strawberry icing is the perfect topping to add just the right amount of sweetness. If your dreaming of chocolate cake that isn’t heavy or overly sweet this is the cake for you!
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- 3/4 Cup of Unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 strong brewed coffee or more non dairy milk
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cups + 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam or jelly
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and rub vegan butter in 1 8-inch round cake pan.
- Mix the non-dairy milk and vinegar in a large mixing bowl, and let set for a few minutes to activate. Add the oil, coffee, vanilla extract, and applesauce and beat until foamy. If coconut oil hardens, microwave the mixture in 10-15 second increments until melted.
- Add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to a sifter and slowly sift over the wet ingredients while mixing with a hand-held or standing mixer. If you don’t have a sifter, simply mix dry ingredients in another bowl and add to the wet mixture while beating. Beat until no large lumps remain. It should be creamy and pourable.
- Pour batter into cake pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- While cooling, prepare icing by pouring boiling water over jam/jelly in a bowl. Whisk until jam/jelly in liquid without chunks. Pour through a sifter into a clean bowl. Discard what is left in sifter. Mix in powdered sugar, add more as needed to make it thick and without chunks.
- Once the cake is cooled, pour icing over top and spread out to the edges.